Thursday, March 10, 2016

Make Your Old Interior Doors Look Like Paneled Doors

old versus new doors
old versus new doors
Been slowly working on updating the house the last couple of years. We bought  this  home about 11 years ago and have not done too much to it besides build a new deck.  Decided it was time to work on the hallway doors. They were the original ones that came with the house and were the hallow doors made with that dark panel wood.
I had seen other sites that had put the trimming on the doors and painted them all one color. This is very nice, but I wanted to also use coloring to add dimension to the door. I had decided on having lighter color on the outside of the trim and a darker on the inside. This would 'hopefully' give the illusion of the doors having different depth to them.
This was a very easy project. First I cleaned the old doors up and put wood putty in the spots that had nicks or wood missing.  I then measured the doors and make two squares out of the trim.  One square on top and the other on the bottom part of the door.  You can pretty much use any kind of trim you want, just go to your local hardware store and see what they have and what you like.  When placing the top square, keep in mind that the bottom square may bump against the door handle so plan accordingly.  I know some people state just gluing the paneled squares on are sufficient, but I'm one of those people who want to make sure it will hold.  I used glue and my air pressured stapler.  Once you have the doors cleaned and prepped along with the trimming placed, you can then paint.  Don't be afraid to use your imagination or your own style in painting them.
Thought this turned out pretty well.  It at least made my tired old doors look new again.
IMG_0727doors3
old versus new doors
old versus new doors